Mounds View Minnesota History
The destruction of hills in Minnesota is not a regular occurrence, according to the Minnesota Historical Society.
There are hills along the river where people have buried their dead for thousands of years, and there is no doubt that these are sacred. The Dakota people used their hill as a burial ground even after its first settlement. This was because the mound was sacred and the continued use by the Dakota people was a place to protect the remains of loved ones.
In the mid-19th century, the contents of the remains of these hills were studied by William Lewis, a geologist at the University of Minnesota, St. Paul. In 1911, the geologist Newton Winchell wrote a large volume entitled Aborigines in Minnesota. He also began to focus on areas of central Minnesota that Lewis had not studied, such as the area along the river.
In 1851, a steamboat sailed to the Traverse Sioux, and a month later another steamboat, the Yankee, sailed from Cotillion Prairie, just below the Sioux Traverse, to Cotillions Prairie, just outside Minnesota. In 1852, four steamboats made thirteen trips to Minnesota, three from Minnesota and one from the Dakota Territory.
The first people recognized the area as a special place and chose it as a burial mound because they lived down the Mississippi. The traditional explanation is that the Indians carried out intrusive burials in and around the hill for fifty or sixty years.
Several types of burials have been found around the neighborhood known as Dayton's Bluff. Most notable are the six hills that are located in what is now Indian Mounds Park.
The hills are still sacred to the Dakota tribe and serve as a reminder of Minnesota's history for future generations, according to Minnesota State University's St. Paul's Department of Natural Resources.
The Indian Mounds Regional Park is home to the largest remaining hills of the state's native Indians, whose remains overlook downtown Saint Paul. Mound Springs Park, located at the intersection of Bluff Drive and North St. Paul Street, is the location of the Minneapolis Automobile Club on what is now Bluffs Drive. The grounds were operated by the Parker family from the early 1930s until 1965 and were then a city park and picnic area. There is another area on the south side of Mounded Springs Road, south of St. Paul, near the campus of the Minnesota State University of Minnesota.
It opened in 2009 and houses the Minnesota State University of Minnesota United Methodist Church and the St. Paul Museum of Natural History.
Gideon Pond's letter records that before the founding of Oak Grove Cemetery in 1856, Gideon H. Pond buried a number of Native Americans in a burial ground on the Minnesota River Bluffs, which he had buried in the burial grounds of the Minnesota River Bluffs. The first historic village of Kaposia, where it once was, is located at the intersection of the Mississippi and St. Paul rivers, south of Lake Superior. Located about a half-mile north west of this site and a mile south east of the river, this is the site of one of two barrows, the first of which was excavated by a companion of our Minnesota Historical Society, leaving behind the remains of a large barrow, a small mound, and an ancient burial ground.
In recent years, the Minnesota Legacy Amendment passed in 2008 required preservation of Indian graves and burial sites in the area. The Bloomington City Park Department has preserved the area around the area, and our Minnesota legislature has taken action to prevent the construction of a park mound that would have been damaged by a local utility.
Using information from the 1895 Atlas, we have compiled a list of the communities that were in the area of Mounds View. When the congregation was founded, it included the communities of Bloomington, Bloomsburg, St. Louis Park and Mound View, as well as several other communities. We also have a newspaper that has appeared in areas around Mounded View since the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Minnesota Historical Society.
The Vermillion River Regional Greenway offers scenic views of the riverside town of Hastings, located on the banks of the Mississippi River in southeastern Minnesota. The archaeology of Minnesota has been strengthened by the construction of a new art museum - the Minnesota Museum of Natural History in St. Louis Park.
The northern extension, which later became Lyndale Avenue, is called the Old County Road of Hennepin County. Much of the road follows the original location and route of the Indian Trail, with parts of the Old Trail passing through Bloomington.
Anthropologists believe that an ancient people named Hopewell created the earliest hills built in the area of what is now Bloomington - St. Paul subway station. The Dakota may have used the mound of earth built by the Hopewells and built their own mound in the same place.